Home COVID-19 Forum Education School plans for September

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Harrison
    Participant

Tom, greetings,
    I believe that the schools’ plans for September are quickly becoming a critical issue for some of our businesses. I have heard many families this week actively discussing whether to relocate families in case full remote learning continues into the next academic year. With schools reopening in many home countries, it’s hard to justify the educational and social impact of longer school closures.
    Can you share any insight into plans, or can the BBG engage ADEK to point out the value of being clearer now if possible? Otherwise I suspect that many families are going to presume the worst and relocate, many permanently. Without being overdramatic, I can see knock-on consequences for staff welfare, and not long after that on staff retention.
    I believe all we have to go on for the moment is a Gulf News story, but I would be delighted to be corrected. Thanks – Joe

https://gulfnews.com/uae/education/coronavirus-uae-e-learning-could-continue-into-next-academic-year-if-covid-19-crisis-goes-on-1.71416631
    May 9th; “assistant undersecretary of the Ministry of Education … three scenarios:
    ..the first scenario is the continuation of the COVID-19 pandemic, where e-learning will remain 100 per cent and smart education will be the focus of education across the entire country. The second scenario is a transitional phase after the virus has dissipated and the country has recovered and in a gradual manner, direct education returns at a rate ranging between 30-50 per cent.. the third scenario is a development plan sought in the event that life returns to normal. This includes the incorporation of both direct and distance learning, but this will be done in proportion of 70 per cent direct education and 30 per cent e-learning”

Tom Shorrock
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Great to hear from you and thanks for engaging in the forum; especially with such a poignant topic!

I don’t have information and I’d be glad to liaise with the committee and see what engagement (if any) has and can be done with ADEK and the wider MoE.

So far, my personal understanding from the organisations I work with across the UAE, is that the education landscape will change but will include a blended learning approach from September. That will mean a cross between distance and on site learning. Whilst I understand the predicament faced by many, I’d argue that they’re probably in the safest place in terms of how this will be launched and controlled; obviously “watch this space” to see what government organisations will be launching.

From my side I will definitely raise this with the BBG committee and see what information is available.

Thanks again, and hope you are keeping well despite the strange times.
    Tom

Tom Shorrock
    Participant

HI Joe,

This was discussed at our last committee meeting and has been raised with DiT.
    We are hoping they in turn will raise this with the UAE government, hopefully we will have a response to this and how to best support all people facing this situation.
    Thanks
    Tom

Tom Shorrock
    Participant

Hi all,

Hope you’re well!
    You will have seen that different regulators are starting to show what return to schools in August/September will look like.
    KHDA have issues a huge document about the rules schools will need to adhere to; we are still waiting to see what ADEK will publish and issue.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.